Sunday, January 21, 2007

Swofford

"I am entitled to despair over the likelihood of further atrocities. Indolence and cowardice do not drive me-- despair drives me. I remade my war one word at a time, a foolish, desperate act. When I despair, I am alone, and I am often alone. In crowded rooms and walking in the streets of our cities, I am alone and full of despair, and while sitting and writing, I am alone and full of despair-- the same despair that impelled me to write this book, a quiet scream from within a buried coffin. Dead, dead, my scream.
What did I hope to gain? More bombs are coming. Dig your holes with the hands God gave you.
Some wars are unavoidable and need well be fought, but this doesn't erase warfare's waste. Sorry, we must say to the mothers whose sons die horribly. This will never end. Sorry."


April 19, 2003

No comments: