Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Carter

"Granpa said it was the silliest damn thing in the world to go around killing something for sport. He said the whole thing, more than likely, was thought up by politicians between wars when they wasn't gittin' people killed so they could keep their hands in on killing. Granpa said that idjits taken it up without a lick of thinking at it, but if you could check it out- politicians started it. Which is likely."

I had no idea who "Forrest" Carter actually was until last weekend. I am torn about keeping these passages in my commonplace books. Would I own a piece of art painted by Charles Manson? Would I in any way indulge in the legitimization of a person who is anathema to everything I am and believe? Can I divorce the man from the art? I don't know the answer to this.


August 25, 1996

No comments: