Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Carter

"Through that short winter day, I lay in my secret place. And my spirit didn't hurt anymore. I was washed clean by the feeling song of the wind and the trees and the spring branch and the birds.

They didn't care or understand how the body minds worked, no more than the men of body minds understood or cared for them. So they did not tell me about hell, or ask me where I come from, or say anything about evil atall. Thery didn't know such word-feelings; and a little while I had forgot them too."
Forrest Carter, The Education of Little Tree

I had no idea who "Forrest" Carter actually was until last weekend. I am torn about keeping these passages in my commonplace books. Would I own a piece of art painted by Charles Manson? Would I in any way indulge in the legitimization of a person who is anathema to everything I am and believe? Can I divorce the man from the art? I don't know the answer to this.


August 29, 1996

No comments: