Saturday, February 19, 2005

Rushdie

"And yet - though I know that dead myths were once live religions, that Quetzalcoatl and Dionysius may be fairy tales now but people to say nothing of goats, once died for them in large numbers - I can still give no credence whatsoever to systems of belief. They seem flimsy, unpersuasive examples of the literary genre known as "unreliable narration." I think of faith as irony, which is perhaps why the only leaps of faith I'm capable of are those required by the creative imagination, by fictions that don't pretend to be fact, and so end up telling the truth. I am fond of saying that all religions have one thing in common, namely that their answers to the great question of our origins are all quite simply wrong."
Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet
June 7, 1999

No comments: